What to do if your basement floodsOctober 31, 2018 basement flooding • Disaster Restoration • water damage • water mitigation • wet basement
Walking downstairs to discover a flooded basement can be one of the most confusing and concerning non-emergency situations homeowners experience. Unless your basement has flooded before, it’s an issue that typically isn’t top of mind, and one you probably haven’t spent much time preparing for. That means potentially financially crippling damage to flooring, drywall, appliances and personal belongings, not to mention safety concerns when electricity and natural gas are involved.
If you stumbled upon this blog post, chances are you’re in a similar situation, but don’t worry – we’re here to help. Here are the things you should do immediately:
- STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT! Live electricity can cause potentially fatal electrocution hazards, and since water is a conductor of electricity, your basement is extremely dangerous.
- Take a deep breath. It’s easy to get wrapped up in a concern for your personal belongings and the condition of your basement, especially if it’s finished, but it’s critical that you keep safety top of mind. Take a few moments to gather your thoughts, and then follow the steps below.
- If your fuse box or circuit breaker is NOT located in the basement, shut off the power in your home. Contact your utility to shut off natural gas.
- If your fuse box or circuit breaker IS located in the basement, call a qualified professional. Contact your utility to shut off natural gas.
- Click here to call Gold Star Property Restoration 24/7, 365. Our highly trained professionals will test whether it’s safe to enter the basement and begin the water-removal process.
- Once your basement has been declared safe to enter, identify the root cause and begin removing water. When our team arrives at your home, we’ll take all necessary precautions to limit water exposure to affected areas of your basement, and to avoid tracking water – potentially sewage water – through your house. Once we ensure the cause of the flood has been mitigated, we’ll use our high-pressure pumps to remove water faster and more efficiently than other methods, allowing us to begin cleaning and sanitizing faster than ever.
- Contact your insurance company. When call on us, we handle this step, and make the complex insurance-claims process a breeze. We’ll verify your coverage, and with your permission, work directly with your carrier to complete all necessary paperwork and processes.
- Clean and sanitize, and get rid of that funky odor. Our highly trained and experienced team of water restoration experts will deep-clean your basement and prevent mold and other organisms from growing as a result of contaminated water and excessive moisture. A professional cleaning is crucial promoting health and safety for your family long after water has been removed from your basement; failing to effectively clean and sanitize can not only result in a nasty, lingering odor, it can cause health issues, such as allergic reactions and asthma, too.
Take measures to prevent future issues. We’ll develop custom recommendations to help you prevent future issues, and if you need help making recommended fixes, we’re always here to help.
Contact Gold Star Property Restoration 24/7, 365!
Click here to get in touch with us – any day, anytime.